Wednesday Wisdom: Is Nashville humidity in addition to my workouts causing breakouts?
This Nashville humidity in addition to my workouts are causing breakouts! Is it sweat that is causing my acne?
The short answer is no, the sweat is not the cause of your acne.
Have you ever noticed getting acne wherever your skin is constantly rubbed on, like wearing a hat or helmet, or playing the violin? This kind of breakout is called acne mechanica.
Acne mechanica is acne that is caused by skin friction, heat, pressure on the skin, or when skin isn’t exposed to the air. Sweaty, constantly rubbed skin can quickly break out in a bothersome rash that’s really acne.
The most common causes of acne mechanica include wearing:
- A helmet with a chin strap
- A tightly fitting hat for a long time
- Any equipment or gear that requires using straps, such as a backpack
- A musical instrument pushed against the skin for long periods (like a violin)
- Shoulder pads
- Tight, synthetic headbands
- Tightly fitting clothing or bras
Treatment and Prevention for Acne Mechanica
You want to treat acne mechanica the same as any other acne – using the right products for the type of acne that you get – and, most importantly, using those products in the right way. Preventing this acne from forming in the first place can keep it at bay. Because this type of acne has clear causes, you can try to prevent acne mechanica by:
- Taking a shower promptly after exercising or sweating — making sure that your skin is thoroughly cleansed. Carry Au Micellair in your bag to cleanse your face on the go.
- Not wearing a hat, helmet, or headband for long periods of time.
- If you do have to wear a helmet, try putting some petrolatum jelly on the areas that rub
- Putting on a T-shirt — make sure it’s made of absorbent cotton and is clean — beneath a uniform to help soak up sweat and minimize skin friction.
- Not wearing clothes that are too tight.
Be sure you're using the right products to stay clear. Our estheticians at Love Skin Nashville can help you use the products to keep you clear!